Today was the day.
Last spring Riah's doctors told us to go home, enjoy our summer and return in the Fall. It's almost Christmas so obviously I wasn't too eager to return and hear more about what they think is going on with Riah's muscles.
Riah had actually been improving this summer after I started a schedule of good healthy food, daily massages using essential oils, and additional supplements. I knew I wasn't curing him.. but my goal is and has been to keep him as strong as possible in hopes of at least slowing down the disease. It was thrilling to see him improve.
So I kept putting off calling the childrens hospital to schedule an appointment. After all, he was doing so well. I knew he was.
But a few weeks ago we got a harsh dose of reality. Riah started limping one morning. By evening he could barely walk. His one leg was stiff and hard and could not support his weight.
We immediately made plans to head south after Christmas, in hopes the warm weather and swimming would help his muscles loosen up. We also knew if we don't do fun, adventurous things with him now, while he's still walking, we will one day seriously regret it.
I carried him around everywhere, massaged his legs feverishly and did cold laser treatments. By day 3, he was back to normal. To say we were relieved is an understatement. We thought it was going to be permanent.
I made the appointment for Riah and went today resigned to hear the worse. Yes, he did go back to normal. But yes, he also does have muscular dystrophy and we can't deny it.
We saw probably 6 or 7 doctors, therapists, nurses, etc, etc. My head was spinning.
But all of them, every single one, were amazed at my son! I couldn't believe it.
I did not expect to hear the words "He's pretty darn strong" to come out of any Dr's. mouth today.
I did not expect to be told the episode of him not walking for 3 days was probably not connected to Riah's muscular dystrophy.
Amazing.... This awesome news is our Christmas present this year, just as Riah was our Christmas present exactly 4 years ago. We celebrated his birthday this past Saturday. 4 years ago we were far from home loving on a tiny 6 pound newborn baby boy who barely cried.
Four years he's been on this earth. And after today, I'm trusting he'll continue to be on this earth for many more years. I hate diseases.. and I hate Muscular Dystrophy. I am not going to sit back and watch my son suffer and die, without doing everything I can to fight it.
I love his doctors. Even though we might not quite se eye to eye. They did a wonderful job today and I feel like they really do care.
They showed some approval of his diet. Maybe a slight surprise when I explained what good food does for him. The list of supplements was handed around and looked at. No comment. Numerous mentions of my using essential oils was ignored. I hinted at the usage of cold laser treatments and was given a blank look and was also explained to me how 60% of people dramatically improve after taking a sugar pill. Or how you can take a bath in egg yolks and feel immensely better.
I got the hint and shut up. I laughed it off and told them please just humor me. I'm a mom, I have to do something.
They said they understand and I believe they do. They probably see crazy moms all the time desperately trying all kinds of stuff.
But I did find it humorous when they all said as they left, " Whatever you're doing, keep doing it!" Did they not see the irony of that statement??
I was too happy to care or be insulted. I'll just keep going every 6 months and repeat what I've said today.
Maybe the best part of today was coming home and telling Riah's daddy. Giving him the news that his precious son is doing well and actually doing better then the last appointment was just pure fun.
We've recently connected with a small local church and the people there have prayed over our son's body. When Riah had his mysterious episode a few weeks ago that we still have no idea what was, they prayed again. It felt so good to share our burdens with them. And its going to be even better telling them of the doctors report today.
The first thing I had to do tonight is sit down and start writing. Maybe putting it down on paper makes it seem even more real.
And, thanks to Riah, we're going south for all of January! The excitement in this house is pretty high. We all love warm weather. We're not just going to goof off.. My husband will work everyday, online. The girls will do their cyber school. I will do my mom thing and take care of everyone. One thing though that I am going to do is take the time to write. I love to write. I write a story in my head everyday. Sometimes I write stories in my dreams.
Yes, I'm weird. I don't care. My son is doing great and I'm happy.
I wish everyone with any kind of sickness could receive good news this Christmas season. I almost feel guilty posting this at the same time so many others are suffering. I wish them all peace.
It's life. Our turn for sadness and grief will come again. I know it will. It's life.
But for now, we celebrate.
No comments:
Post a Comment